Tuesday, April 24, 2007

New Visual: Digital Cinema, Fincheriffic


Okay, so years ago I saw Dancer In The Dark, and the story was pretty moving, but of course the quality... done with a bunch of Canon GL1s or something... well, Dogma95 was an interesting idea that pretty much accepted crappy cameras.

Fast FFWD to Fincher's latest, Zodiac. I remember walking out of the screening I saw and remarking to my girlfriend that everything that Fincher had been working towards finally came to fruition with Zodiac. I mean, the entire picture is pretty much frame-perfect. Holy Jeez, it even made me take another look at Panic Room, just to see what the master does when he stumbles a bit. Guess I needed to remind myself that David Fincher isn't some cinematic omni-driod.

And then... I'm reading American Cinematographer about the look they got... and IT'S ALL ON DIGITAL. UNCOMPRESSED 10 BIT. Holy hell. The revolution just quietly, finally happened. Forget about the paperless office... this is the emulsionless worflow. FINALLY!16534654!!

Dude... if you wanna make movies and the like.... go see Zodiac. Let it stew in the lizardy nether-regions of your visual cortex for a few months... then read this article.

2 comments:

FincherFanatic said...

Great post! I can't wait for the ZODIAC to be released and have a look at it myself. I have no doubt however, that this will be a fine piece of movie-making.

I'd like to invite you to see my Fincher fanblog: http://fincherfanatic.blogspot.com -- Hope you like it!

Best personal regards,
Andreas

David Elliott said...

Thanks. Your Fincher Blog looks great... I have actual work to do and you've just killed my lunch. Thanks a bunch ;)